Top Mental Health Hospitals in Florida
There are countless mental health facilities in Florida. But the top mental health hospitals in Florida all have one thing in common: They can help you or your loved one feel better. If you or someone you love is struggling with mental health issues, know that help is out there. The first step in the process is finding the best facility. And we’re here to help.
There are several things to consider when selecting the best mental health hospital in Florida. First, choose a facility with licensed staff members who are fully trained in providing patient-centric care. Second, take a look at the programs and services offered. Important programs include: crisis care services, dual diagnosis programs, medical detoxification for co-occurring substance use disorders, partial hospitalization programs (PHP) and family behavioral health services. Lastly, look at the facility’s other benefits, such as food and nutrition counseling, recreational therapies, and meditation programs.
Mental Health Professionals
The most important thing is finding a mental health center in Florida with staff members who truly care about their patients’ success. All healthcare workers should be well-trained in administering mental health care. They should have their patients’ best interests at heart. You might come across different terms and titles for mental health professionals when searching for the best mental health hospitals in Florida. Here’s a breakdown of the most common positions and what they mean:
The following professionals can provide psychological assessments and therapy, but cannot prescribe medications:
- Clinical Psychologist – A psychologist with a doctoral degree in psychology from an accredited program. Psychologists make diagnoses and provide individual and group therapy.
The following professionals can provide counseling and, with proper training, assessments. They cannot prescribe medication:
- Clinical Social Worker – A professional counselor with a masters degree in social work from an accredited graduate program. They are trained to make diagnoses, provide individual and group counseling and provide patient case management and advocacy.
- Licensed Professional Counselor – A counselor with a masters degree in psychology, counseling, or another related field. They are trained to diagnose as well as provide various mental health treatments like group counseling and other mental health therapies.
- Mental Health Counselor – A professional counselor with a masters degree and many years of clinical work experience. Mental health counselors are trained to diagnose and provide both individual and group counseling.
- Certified Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor – A professional counselor with specific clinical alcohol and drug abuse training. These professionals are trained to diagnose and provide individual and group counseling. The top mental health facilities in Florida employ several of these professionals.
- Nurse Psychotherapist – A registered nurse who is trained in psychiatric and mental health nursing. Nurse psychotherapists are trained to diagnose and provide mental wellness care.
- Marital and Family Therapist – A counselor with a masters degree and specialized education and training in marital and family therapy. These counselors are trained to diagnose and provide individual and group counseling.
- Pastoral Counselor – A clergy member with training in clinical pastoral education. Some hospitals provide faith-based rehab programs as well as mental health counseling. These professionals are trained to diagnose and provide individual and group counseling.
- Peer Specialist – A counselor with lived experience with mental health or substance abuse. After undergoing several hours of special training, these professionals work to support people going through recovery. They offer invaluable, personal perspective from someone who has successfully completed recovery.
The following professionals can prescribe medication, and may or may not also provide therapy:
- Psychiatrist – A medical doctor with training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental health illnesses. They can prescribe medications and help patients through various forms of psychotherapy.
- Psychiatric or Mental Health Nurse Practitioner – A registered nurse practitioner with a graduate degree and specialized training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental health issues.
Top Mental Health Hospitals in Florida – Programs and Services
The following are common programs and services offered by the top mental health hospitals in Florida:
Crisis Care Services
Care for patients in acute crisis who need immediate assistance. These patients might be experiencing suicidal ideation or having violent thoughts and need immediate inpatient mental health treatment.
Adult Psychiatric Program
Treatment for people working through emotional and psychiatric issues. These include common mental illnesses like depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder, just to name a few.
A treatment program that takes place in an outpatient setting, designed to help people work through medical, emotional and psychiatric issues. This can help patients post-treatment after inpatient hospitalization, or in lieu of an inpatient program.
An inpatient program designed to help people who suffer from drug and/or alcohol abuse issues, as well as a co-occurring mental illnesses. Both substance abuse and mental illness are treated with one comprehensive program.
Family Behavioral Health Services
Group and one-on-one therapy sessions that help families work through familial situations as they arise. Family support is a key part of mental illness recovery, and these sessions help build that.
Mental Health Facilities and Activities
Finally, be sure to check out the facilities. Are they well-maintained and clean? What do the rooms and dining area look like? Is it in a peaceful location that can help with the recovery process?
If you or a loved one is ready to start your path to recovery, The Blackberry Center of Orlando, Florida, can help. As one of the best mental health facilities in Florida, we have well-trained staff members and top psychiatric and recovery programs, all housed in our state-of-the-art treatment center in the Orlando area. Contact us to learn more.